Learn How it works
Submission of Proposals
Proposals accepted from Wednesday, January 25th to Friday, March 24th at 11:59pm PT.
Selection of Cohort
We will select a cohort of up to 6 organizations who will receive a total of $1 million. Announcement will be made in May 2017.
Year 1 Activities
Organizations will focus on deploying strategies to recruit and engage entrepreneurs from the target populations in their programs. Programs will officially launch in July 2017.
Year 2-3 Activities
Organizations will focus on helping to scale and grow the most successful entrepreneurs within their programs.
We will host regular convenings and networking events for the cohort to foster collaboration and the sharing of best practices to maximize the regional impact of Blackstone's investment. In addition, we will link the leadership of the cohort with the resources of Blackstone and the broader Chicago entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Who's Eligible to Apply?
- Be classified as a "Public Charity" with tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Be in operation as a 501(c)(3) public charity for a minimum of 24 months prior to applying for the grant.
- Operate a program within the city limits of Chicago.
- Report total operating revenues for the last full fiscal year, including in-kind donations, between $300,000 and $10M.
- Independently file an IRS Form 990 and/or be independently audited. In regards to this requirement, please note:
- For an organization filing an IRS Form 990 annually, the most recently filed IRS Form 990 must be included in the Letter of Inquiry to verify operating revenues are in the required range.
- For an organization not filing an IRS Form 990 or for a local applicant consolidated with other entities on a Form 990 (i.e. local chapter of a national organization or a local organization partnering with a larger institution not based in Chicago), the applicant’s last full fiscal year audit report documenting revenues must be included in the Letter of Inquiry to verify operating revenues are in the required range.
Here are the Key Dates
Blackstone Inclusive Entrepreneurship Challenge Officially Opens
Proposals Due by 11:59pm PT
Grant Awards Announcement
Official Launch of Programs
Mayor Emanuel, Blackstone Charitable Foundation and World Business Chicago Launch Blackstone Inclusive Entrepreneurship Challenge
Brought to You By The Blackstone Charitable Foundation
I am thrilled that the Blackstone Charitable Foundation is launching its first inclusive entrepreneurship program in my hometown. We hope that this program will serve as a model for other cities seeking to increase support and opportunities for entrepreneurs from all communities.— Jon Gray, Global Head of Blackstone Real Estate